Feb 10, 2010

Confessions of a Tired Mom

It's really not very often that I get tired and frustrated being a mom of an almost-two-year-old.

Most of the time I feel lucky and blessed to have such a sweet little girl in my life, of whom I am totally and completely in love with...

Most of the time I get enough sleep and enough "me time" and have enough energy to deal with the little tantrums and lots of little messes, and even the big ones.

But, tonight, I am tired and frustrated.

See, I changed some things today...I didn't give her ANY candy. Only healthy food besides the pineapple...

And today I didn't clean up every little mess right after she made it...I cleaned once during the day and that's all so I would have more time for her and other more important things.

I even called the doctor to make sure she was current on all of her shots and kept her bum extra dry to keep that rash away...

Yet tonight I have a messy apartment, a girl that is hyper beyond belief, and a rash that is starting to show on her baby bum.


So maybe I need to learn from this...

...that a clean house is important to me and, if nothing else, it makes me feel like I am in control of my life - that I can handle my "mom duties."

...that you can't always control how healthy your child is (or at least some aspects of your child's health)

...that (as my husband said) "some kids are just hyper"

...that not every day of motherhood can be perfect, but one bad day is okay once in a while...

...especially when you have this to show for it.

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

11 comments:

Anna White said...

Jessica..I can relate to this post ALOT..lol..but you have to remember to cut yourself some slack from time to time...you run the house..dont let the house run you.
Although I know its hard..as I cannot stand to be surrounded by mess and clutter.
My little Jacq is almost 17 months and he is so full of beans, I feel like I cannot do enough to entertain him...and at the moment he has a cold/cough and is very clingy and out of sorts ..and your heart feels for them as they cant tell you what is hurting or aching at that age.
But the days of joy and laughter and precious moments...outweigh the hard days by a long shot. Just remember its ok to have a bad day...it reminds us that we are only human and need to make time for ourselves also. Your a great mum and you are doing a great job...otherwise your little girl would not be smiling so bright :) x

I ♥ You said...

what an awesome post - i feel like i could have written it. mine is only 5.5 months (and i don't get near enough sleep or "me time") but I hear you. :)

your girl is gorgeous!!!

Danielle said...

She is so adorable. Sorry you had a rough day. Tomorrow is a new one :)

Em and Ms said...

Just wait until you're pregnant again! I'm sorry you had a hard day. I always feel guilty after a day like that, and that only adds to the bad feelings. Allie is so cute and definitely worth it all though. Hopefully you have a better day today!

Natalie Smith said...

I love tub pictures! She looks like an angel...She can't be naughty! ha ha Jokes...do I sound like a gramma?

Hang in there Jess. You are a great Mommy.

Crystal Spencer said...

I'm glad someone else feels the way I do sometimes! She is such a cute little girl though. We are so lucky to have these little ones in our lives.

Taylor, Alicia, and Lilly said...

What a wonderful reminder to all of us stay at home mom's! Thanks so much for sharing all of that!

beachvintage.com said...

I will never forget a quote by Oprah " Being a mom is the hardest job in the world". I honestly believe it is. So we are all in the same boat.

Marc and Kim Wheeler said...

I remember being worried about being anal all the time about having the house clean. And then I heard that this lady was on her death bed and she said that if she could go back in time she would havenot worried about her house being dirty. It made me feel guilty so I let my house be messy all the time......until it literally drove me crazy. That is all I thought about was that i needed to clean. And I saw myself getting frustrated and angry and letting it out on the family. So I then decided that a clean house is important to me!!!! I just try not to be so anal anymore and try to get cleaning done when Alivia is sleeping

Molly Marisa said...

love the honesty. be true to yourself and she will always appreciate you even if she can't tell you. you'll be her best friend. you need a date night i think! make time.

Elizabeth said...

Jess I definitely know what you're going through I've had my huge share of days like that times three! :) I am also one of those people who just can't stand to have a cluttered/messy house. I tried the not following the kids around picking up messes all day long and not continually cleaning that I'd just do it at the end of the day but no matter what you find yourself tired at the end of the day and it doesn't get done and then it piles up and I just couldn't stand that, it's just my personality. As many times as I've wanted to ship my kids somewhere else (definitely had one of those days yesterday and this morning before 8am it started again) I wouldn't change anything about them and who they are- so I completely love your post but totally know how you feel- I promise it gets better, you just have your off and on days. It's really taught me patience!