Sep 25, 2013

My DIY Breakfast Nook

You may remember my post from a couple months ago about adorable breakfast nooks.  I finally was able to finish my little version of a breakfast nook in our tiny dining space!  I was using this image as my main inspiration:

I loved the bamboo chairs and the bench seat combo with the round table, especially since I already had a cute round table...



I just had to find the chairs:
I found these chairs and the bench seat both on my neighborhood garage sale Facebook page.  The chairs were $15 for both.  I removed the seats and staples from the fabric.  Then measured the fabric and cut out some fabric I already had to replace it.  I also put plastic on top of the fabric to protect it with little kids constantly spilling their food :)  I also spray painted the chairs to give it a freshly painted look.


And the bench seat:
Bench seat was $55.  I sanded lightly and painted the primer on with a brush.  I then painted 2 coats of white with a brush then finished it off with a clear coat of spray to protect it and make it easy to keep clean.

In the end this is how it all looked put together:



Obviously I don't leave these pillow here when we are eating (kids are very messy!) But, eventually I might make a pad with some outdoor fabric for the bench.

As you can see, we had to finish off the edge since it wasn't actually put into a corner.  my husband did this with a $8 piece of thin wood and my sister gave me a piece of her bead-board wallpaper to add a little interest.

Here is a good picture of the chair all finished.  I plan on changing out the fabric often, since it is so quick and easy to do- not to mention cheap for just a little fabric.  Who knows, maybe I'll even paint the chair a crazy color one of these days..

Total cost of the project was just about $80!

I'll be sharing this post here
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

12 comments:

Unknown said...

looks great! i love the light fixture :) xo jillian of cornflake dreams

Q @ JAQS said...

It's looks beautiful and very pro. Great job Jess!

Unknown said...

what a difference, I love your color choices! I would love for you to come link up at my Furniture and Paint Party going on NOW!!
http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/09/furniture-paint-party.html
Brooke

Ruth said...

Beautiful, I love the light and airy feel to it. Perfect for breakfast.

Natalie Smith said...

it turned out perfect. great work.

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

It turned out fabulously! Great job!!
Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse Party! I'll be featuring this tomorrow. :)

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It looks amazing. You have such a cosy spot now for breakfast and more!

Amy@TheBlissfulBee said...

Just letting you know this is going to be featured tomorrow on Work it Wednesday!! Make sure to stop by tomorrow to check it out and link up!

xo, amy
www.theblissfulbee.com

Nicole-Lynn said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love it all. You did a great job!

acalabrese said...

Hi Jess! Love the nook! I am redoing my breakfast area and am curious as to what size table you have? It looks like the perfect size for my project.

Thanks!

Alice Calabrese

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic. Love how you changed the chair's cushion have the whole unit blend in with the rest of the kitchen. Well done.

www.77yum.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.