Jan 14, 2013

Homemade Pork Rub

Since I have had a LOT more time on my hands lately, not to mention a great kitchen, I have actually been cooking and actually liking it a little more!  I thought I better take some pictures along the way so I can share some of my favorite recipes with you.

I am a big fan of pork roast and I had never done a pork rub when cooking it before because it was just another spice to buy- then I realized I could make my own!

Here is the recipe I adjusted to the spices I actually had:

Pork Rub
3 tsp. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (I used 1 tsp- we like spicy)
1 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Salt




Mix it all together and rub on your pork roast


Now is where you can do lots of things with your pork!  I prefer to cook mine in a can of Dr. Pepper.  You can also add liquid smoke, more brown sugar, bbq sauce, etc.  Cook on low until tender (8ish hours) if you have the time...I didn't so I cooked on high for about 5 hours.



When you pull it out, discard most of the watery stuff it is cooked in so it doesn't get all "mushy" when you shred it.  Add sauces you like to the pulled pork, or if you cooked in in a thicker liquid you can use that!

My favorite Cafe Rio sauce:
2 Cans Dr. Pepper or Coke
2 cups Brown Sugar
1 Can Red Enchilada Sauce (I don't usually use this)
2 Cans Diced Green Chiles (Another thing I frequently omit)






This is making me hungry just typing out the recipe!
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

1 comment:

Aimee said...

This looks so yummy! I am going to convince my mom to make it ;)