Sep 26, 2011

Tufted Headboard Tutorial

As many of you know, I had been planning on making a tufted headboard forever... Pinterest just pushed me along to get going on it as I saw these images and read through this tutorial.

***DISCLAIMER***
DO NOT make a tufted headboard by yourself when you are 7 months pregnant...Doing so will result in EXTREME exhaustion, frustration, and pinched sciatic nerves for a couple days.  Not sure if all that is worth the result, but if that can be avoided I would highly suggest it. :)

That being said, a lot of the frustration and extra work came from learning tips and tricks that I will now share with you and you won't have to learn or figure out on your own.

Materials Needed:

1/2-1/8″ Plywood
1×3-1x4″ Lumber
Foam (at least 2″ thick)
Polyester Batting Upholstery (king/queen size)
Fabric to Cover Headboard (I used a stretchy-canvas type fabric)
Fabric to Cover Buttons (make sure it is thin)
Upholstery Thread
Upholstery Needle
Button Kit and Buttons (I used 1" buttons)
Buttons (2 or 4-holed) smaller than button kit buttons
Popsicle sticks
Scissors
Wood Screws
Bolts
Staple Gun and Staples (size depending on how thick your plywood is)
Tape measure
Drill
Serrated Knife (electric ones work best)

1. Cover your buttons with fabric
This is pretty easy, it just takes a little time and you need to make sure your fabric isn't too thick or you will just ruin buttons like I did.  These buttons are pretty cheap and flimsy, so you have to be careful with them.


2. Measure your plywood and figure out where you are going to put your buttons (tufts)


3. Drill holes where the buttons are going to go.


4. Place your foam on the plywood and cut it to size.
I used old couch cushions so I had to cut them in half (I ended up using 3 halves and an extra little portion)
Using a spray adhesive to attach them to the plywood would probably make this a little easier, but I wanted to save some money so I didn't use any glue.


5. Cover the foam with your batting and staple it on the back of the plywood (tight.)
If your foam is glued on the plywood you could simply place it upside-down on top of the batting and staple the back.  If not, you will have to do what I did and flip it over carefully.

6. Set the headboard on top of your fabric (upside-down) and then staple your fabric to the back (loose so you can tuft it.)


7. Double thread your SUPER long needle and tie it on a popsicle stick.  Thread it from the back to the front of your headboard with the popsicle stick on the back (keeping the thread from going through the hole.) Use pliers to pull the needle through your headboard if you need to-I did.  Also, make sure your piece of thread is pretty long.)

8. Thread it through a button (kneel on the spot to sink the foam and create the tufted look.)  Tie it down in a double or triple knot. Leave a long piece of thread hanging to thread your pretty covered buttons through.


9. Staple the popsicle stick in place so the thread won't slide off (especially if you used weird popsicle sticks like me and snapped them in half because you were too lazy to go to the store.)


10. Duct tape the popsicle sticks with their thread for extra security (and so the thread doesn't get cut from anything sharp.)


11. Thread your covered buttons through the thread you left hanging from each button and cut off the excess.


For now, here is a preview of the headboard.  I haven't attached it to the bed yet, so I will add instructions on that when I finally do, and when I have a final picture to share of it all finished and pretty!!

I am posting this HERE


 
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

21 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

jess it looks amazing!!!! love the tufting- you used just the right amount of batting and foam because it is perfect!

Adrian said...

Impressive! Thanks for the tutorial. I can't wait to see the final hung headboard!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

I've been wanting to do this for our room so thank you for such a great tutorial! I love your style. :)

PS I have a $50 cash giveaway going on on my blog right now. Come by when you get a chance! :)

Kathy said...

Well, you did it just how I imagined - but the pop sickle stick backing is ingenious! Love it! You did a great job!
Kathy
visiting via Show Off Your Cottage Monday

Brian's mom said...

It looks amazing!Great job!

Candice said...

That looks so good! Your craftiness inspires me :)

Karena said...

Jess I love your headboard and want to do this so much. You have inspired me!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Justine said...

I cannot wait to see this! It looks really good!

Just Better Together

Unknown said...

I love this! This is going to be a project in our house real soon!!!

Mandy said...

Great tutorial. Love the head board. I'd love it if you linked this up to my party going on at www.projectqueen.org
I'm a new follower.

Stephanie said...

WOW. This turned out absolutely AMAZING. :) It looks so beautiful and so EXPENSIVE. Great job - I'm featuring it on my Favorite Finds Friday post this week! :)

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Love this! This is what I've been thinking of doing in my room, great to see one that turned out great. Come link up to scrappy saturdays over at candacecreations.blogspot.com I'd love to see you there and I would love to feature this next weekend after you link it up! :)

Candace

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tutorial

RedBettySummer said...

You did a fabulous job, and an even better job sharing the process. I think my daughter needs to do this project. It looks great and you make it sound so easy. I especially like how you share your work-around when you didn't have the "right" popsicle stick.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, there! I'm admiring all the creativity here in your blog. May I invite you to join my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

Unknown said...

Wow--this looks really, really good. Like, I'm going to pin this on pinterest good. And I don't do that lightly. Found you on MMS!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Jess, what a great tutorial! I have always wanted to try this! Great job! I am now following you via the creative blogger's party. I hope you will follow back! Blessings to you!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

It looks amazing! Great job! Found you through project queen and I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll follow me back but no pressure :-)

Leslie said...

I like the way it look so far. Can't wait to see it attached to the bed.

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

i totally love this! So want to make one! I pinned this.

Hope to see you back this weekend at scrappy saturdays:)

candace

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for linking up at Creative Bloggers' Party & HOp :)