SIDS is always something that has scared me. It is my worst nightmare to think about one of my babies dying, and especially when it comes to something like SIDS where you can't immunize for it and it isn't completely understood by doctors. Since October is SIDS awareness I have partnered up with HALO SleepSack to bring you a giveaway for one of their 100% Cotton SleepSacks. Here are some of their tips to prevent SIDS:
- Place baby to sleep on his or her back at naptime and at night time.
- Room-share, but don’t bed share; the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend against bed sharing as it can lead to an increased risk for accidental suffocation.
- Use a crib or bassinet that meets current safety standards with a firm mattress that fits snugly and is covered with only a tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Remove all soft bedding and toys from your baby’s sleep area (this includes loose blankets, bumpers, pillows and positioners). The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using a wearable blanket instead of loose blankets to keep your baby warm.
- Offer a pacifier when putting baby to sleep. If breastfeeding, introduce pacifier after one month or after breastfeeding has been established.
- Breastfeed, if possible, but when finished, put your baby back to sleep in his or her separate safe sleep area alongside your bed.
- Never put your baby to sleep on any soft surface (adult beds, sofas, chairs, water beds, quilts, sheep skins etc.)
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby or take your baby into a room or car where someone has recently smoked.
I have to admit that I am not the best at these. I have co-slept with ALL 3 of my babies. I am a SUPER light sleeper and have been as careful as I could about it, but if I would have known about HALO's Bassinest Swivel Sleeper I definitely would have gotten one of those! See more about them- they are SOOO cool!
Now you have a chance to win a HALO Sleepsack yourself! Just use the rafflecopter below to enter: