Apr 26, 2010

Rosette Tee Tutorial

I have a closet full of plain t-shirts and jeans.  It is really sad.  While I am trying to "upgrade" my style a little bit, I decided to jazz up some of my plain t-shirts like I've been seeing all you fellow bloggers do!  

Of course I took some pictures along the way so if any of you wanted to do the same it would be easier.  I am a very visual learner so picture tutorials are my fave.  I apologize for any blurry or grainy pictures :)

This isn't the shirt I used, but I wanted to show how I cut the neck.  I really like scoop necks right now, so I cut this fuchsia tee a little lower than this black one.  Plus, I needed more fabric to make the rosettes.  Also, if you need more fabric you can take the shirt in (on the sides if it is a looser shirt or bottom if it is long enough.)


I cut up the extra pieces to make the rosettes.  They varied in length and width.


Once I had the rosette all rolled up, I stuck a needle through it to hold it in place.


Then I threaded the needle and tied a thick knot through the end of the thread.  This seems like a weird way to do it, but it really was the fastest.


Basically I just threaded the needle through a few times at different angles to make sure the rosette would stay in place.  There is not really an exact way to do this (that I know of.)


After tying off the thread I just left extra thread hanging to sew it on with.  I realized after it took me FOREVER to sew each one on that it would have been a lot faster to just sew them all with the same thread.




Just a side note: this took me all day to do, but shouldn't take you AS long since part of my problem was just figuring things out...however, still plan for at least a 2 hour project...

I'm still not sure if it was worth my day or not...
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

36 comments:

Crystal Spencer said...

That is a really cute idea! So did you hem the neck where you cut it or just stick the roses right on to cover the edge?

Hutchings Home said...

That is cute! I want to make one with you.

I ♥ You said...

totally worth it - adorable! looks like all the fabric embellishment i see at j.crew and anthropologie!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

This looks great! I was summer-izing my closet this weekend and almost put 2 plain t-shirts in the Goodwill pile, then remembered I could do something like this to them. lol!

My Little Notebook said...

This is so pretty, and what a frugal way of updating your wardrobe! I think I'll have to give it a try...I too have a closet full of plain T-shirts. Thanks for sharing this!

marta said...

really really cute! so happy to land into your creative space.

tara said...

cute! i saw sweaters with something similar in oldnavy and i loved them...thanks for the how-to!

Danielle said...

Your shirt turned out great! I've really been wanting to make one of these :) I finally just got around to making a elastic holder for all my grocery bags. I'll post that soon.

Red Lipstick said...

Very worth it! It looks so J Crew and you would have spent much more! thanks for sharing this!

Karrine said...

looks neat- but u might have more patience then me ;) Dropped you an invite by email Jessica :)

Rhiannon Bosse said...

It was worth it, it is so cute and unique! Great work :)

Gypsy Heart said...

Cute! Cute! Thanks for sharing ~

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Love it Jess! It looks great!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

Thanks for the great tutorial girly! I love this!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

A Sign of the Times said...

This is great! I really look terrible in regular t shirts, but if I cut the neck down like this I think it will work for me. The rosettes make it look so much more feminine! Thanks for sharing.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh it was definitely worth the time it took you! It's beautiful. And I can think of so many other applications for those pretty rosettes... just think of them along the edge of a boudoir lampshade~!

Cass

Anonymous said...

It's great! Thanks for posting.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

that is so cute! looks easy too.

xo,
cristin

Cap Creations said...

Wow it looks great and a super tutorial! Great job!

Ann said...

Yes, yes it was worth it!! How adorable... I love it!
Thanks for sharing~
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

I have a weekly Thursday blog party especially for people to share things they've made to be worn. Stop by if you'd like!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Cute idea!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

faith ann raider said...

SOOOOO cute!! What a fab idea!! :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Okay it was worth it because it's super cute and now you know how to do it quicker next time! I'm going to cut up some old shirts right now and try this out! Thanks for sharing!

★Carol★ said...

What a fabulous idea! So creative, I wish I had half the imagination. And your blog header is just gorgeous!

I {heart} Nap Time said...

i love these flowers, so cute on your t-shirt! I'd love for you to link this up tomorrow at sundae scoop. http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/

Lisa Russell said...

I think it was worth your day! Beautiful job!!

sharon santoni at my french country home said...

Love this idea, very successful tutorial, I'm reaching for my scissors already!!
Sharon

SueLovesCherries said...

Fabulous! It looks like a designer tee!

Robyn said...

OH I think it's adorable! I've been making rosettes/flowers too out of fabric or ribbon. I LOVe how yours goes aroundthe neck...LOVELY!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Very, very cute! Love how it really dressed up the neckline!

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I think that it is really cute! Love it! :)

Unknown said...

Aww, it's adorable! I just found you over at Shabby Chic (Transformation Thursday) and I'm so glad I did. You have a really cute blog : ). Just wanted to say hi, introduce myself, and let you know I'm a happy new follower. Have a great week!

Mandy England said...

LOVE this!!

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

I just found your blog on fingerprintsonthefridge. WOW. LOVE your t-shirts. Can't wait to get sprucing up some of my own! Thank you for the great ideas and awesome tutorials

natalieshawn said...

i think it was worth it!!! this is simply adorable!!! thanks for the great tutorial!!!