Feb 26, 2020

Bright & Beautiful Studios Befores and Afters!


Many of you know about the office we renovated last year, but I haven't shared the before and after photos or shared the whole story yet!  About a year ago we started renovating my father-in-laws old dental office in Orem, UT.  I had been itching to do a renovation and when the opportunity arose it just felt right.  We basically gutted it down to the walls and even took out a couple of those.


We had to get some plumbing done and got our floors done by someone else too- let me know if you need either because both guys are AWESOME and we are thrilled with all the work they did for us.  Other than that we were able to do the rest ourselves with the help of some of our wonderful friends- you know who you are!

It was a crazy amount of work that we somehow squeezed into limited weekends and for me some of it during the day, still trying to juggle my part time photography stuff and the kids.  The whole summer was spent in the office, and my kids were definitely glad when we took a much-needed vacation to the Northwest for a couple weeks.  They have been SUCH troopers through the whole thing and we are taking them to Florida in a month for all their patience haha!

The office was in good condition, very well taken care of since its build date in the early 80's.  It just needed a little makeover.  The outside has not been touched, but we hope to be able to paint it and update it a little soon.  These are our future plans:





First the waiting room:




In every room we painted the walls a bright white and took out the floors.  We also took out all the fluorescent lighting and had to scrape off a lot of popcorn ceiling under all of that and patch a lot of the walls and ceilings.  We also took out a door or two and put in a couple little walls in those places.



We added a faux shiplap wall treatment on many of the walls in the studio. I love how much character and interest they give it.


We tore out SO MANY shelves and cabinets.  This wall with the sign used to have a big shelf built into it.


The name came from a poem my grandpa wrote a year before he passed away.  He wrote something about each of his grandkids and when he wrote about me he called me "so gosh darn bright and beautiful" and that compliment meant so much and will stay with me forever. :)

You can see the shelves and the swinging doors behind the front desk here:




One day I had a thought pop in my head to paint the window black.  So I played with the idea on my phone and decided I loved it!





Behind the swinging doors was the back room along with a closet for developing dental x-rays (dark room). We tore that out along with tons of cabinets.  The room is now an open and bright break room.



Before:

After:

We painted the counters and cabinets with Giani counter top paint and I will be posting more about that soon.  Highly highly recommend their products!


The fridge is where the closet/dark room used to be



This room used to house a panoramic x-ray machine.  We kept the shelves in it and turned it into a fun kids room.  I loved painting the wall murals and added wallsneedlove cacti decal.


Globes came from my mom's globe collection.  She used to have about 40!




This is the coziest, warmest spot in the studio-especially when the sun is shining!

 There were 4 bathrooms that we updated but I only have one example for now-sorry!  You can look on my instagram page to see another @jessicahillsdesign

Before:


After:


Hallways:





You can't see it very well, but we also took down the swinging doors to the mixing rooms and cut them straight to make them more modern, then painted them a glossy black.  I love how they turned out!




Before:

After:





Before:

After:

Before:

After:



Room #1:
Before:


After:

They were so amazing to work with!  Highly recommend!


Room #2
Before:

After:



Mixing Room #1
Before:

After:



Room #3
Before:

After:

Before:

After:


Room #4:





Combined Rooms:

We took out a half wall between these two rooms to make it more open.  Originally we were going to use this room for 4 hair stations, but after all was said and done we decided to rent it out to JP Lash Studio and I love the way it turned out!

Before:

Progress:







More progress:





After: (it looks even nicer currently though- need new photos!)




I have loved seeing all the personal touches the girls add to their rooms:


It has also been a blast to rent out the back room (photo studio) and to see how creative everyone is that uses it!





The whole process was such a roller coaster!  I really loved doing it so much even with the stress and uncertainty involved.  I have loved working with the girls that rent and it has been a pleasure to get to know so many of them!  We still have some spaces that are open if you know anyone that would like to rent!  We currently rent to cosmetologists, estheticians, teeth whiteners, etc!

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

No comments: